ENCOURAGING EVERY STUDENT TO ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL IN A SUPPORTIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT.
We, at Ladysmith Secondary School, believe in a positive, safe and inclusive learning environment for all. The LSS community strives to:
Culture of Innovation
- Improve student achievement through innovative pedagogy, which aligns with the redesign BC curriculum.
- Provide a concept-based approach to learning and a focus on the development of competencies, to foster deeper, more transferable learning.
- Increase knowledge of Aboriginal Understandings across all grades and curricular areas.
- Encourage higher-order thinking through inquiry and place-based learning.
- Provide opportunities for students in areas leadership, social responsibility and student-led initiatives.
- Communicate learning authentically and on an ongoing basis to students and parents.
- Meet the individual learning needs of all students.
- Respect the unique nature of disciplines while supporting and encouraging cross-curricular learning.
- Provide flexibility to inspire the personalization of learning and address the diverse needs and interests of our learners.
- Create learning environments that explore the use of time and space in creative ways.
- Enhance student engagement in learning, giving students choices leading to life-long, self-directed learning.
Core Competency Development for Life-long Learning
- Encourage greater student ownership for learning.
- Involve students in reflecting on their work and setting new goals based on those reflections.
- Support students in the development of a positive personal and cultural identity.
- Develop in students a lifelong appreciation of learning and a curiosity about the world.
- Build and sustain a positive relationship with the community.
- Support students in developing the skills, attitudes and habits of mind essential to becoming contributing, responsible citizens.